The Liver is the most important organ in the body that plays a vital role. It helps in the metabolism of food consumed by our body. There are many liver disorders one among them is jaundice a disease formed due to the production of too much bilirubin in the body. The bilirubin is a yellow pigment that causes a breakdown of red blood cells in the liver. When old red blood cells are destroyed the oxygen-carrying cells are released in the blood. The disease jaundice occurs when there is the destruction of red blood cells & the elimination of bilirubin.
In jaundice patient, the color of the skin & eyes appears yellowish. This disease can occur in any age group.
What are the Causes of Jaundice?
Jaundice mainly takes place when the bilirubin is not properly metabolized by your liver. The various causes of jaundice are:
- Liver cancer
- Liver cirrhosis
- Misuse of alcohol
- Hepatitis A, B, C, D, E
- Gall stones
- Sickle Cell Anemia
- Acute pancreatitis
- Pancreatic cancer
- G6PD deficiency
- Yellow fever
- Drug-induced immune hemolytic anemia
- Alcoholic liver disease
What are the Signs & Symptoms of Jaundice?
The various signs & symptoms seen in jaundice patient are:
- Yellowish discoloration of eyes, nails, & skin
- General weakness
- Burning sensation in the body
- Black discoloration of stool
- Excessive thirst
- Loss of libido
What is the Ayurvedic view on Jaundice?
According to Ayurveda Jaundice is known as “Kamala” In this disease the pitta dosha is imbalanced along with the rakta as a dushya. Kamala is considered as the advanced stage of Pandu roga. This disease is known as Pittaja Nanatmaja vyadhi & Raktapradosaja vyadhi. In purvaroopa of Kamala the symptoms seen are yellow discoloration of eyes, nailbed, skin, & oral mucosa, toad like color of skin, burning sensation of body, anorexia, weakness, malaise, weight loss, indigestion, rakta pita purisha & mutra.
What is the Ayurvedic Treatment for Jaundice?
According to Ayurveda as jaundice is a raktaj pittaj vyadhi. So the basic line of treatment is to balance these two. In Ayurveda, there are numerous herbs that provide effective & good results to jaundice patients. Superlife World HealthCare prepares a complete kit known as “Jaundice Care Kit” for proper natural & herbal treatment of this disease. It comprises of five products mentioned below:
1. Yakrit Vati
As in Ayurveda Yakrit is known as Liver. Jaundice is a disease of the liver. So this Yakrit vati provides very good results. This herbal vati is prepared from herbs like Kalmegh, Punarnava, Kasni, Sharpunkha, etc that is good in jaundice. These all herbs in combination show antioxidant, analgesic, anti-inflammatory, etc properties. It maintains the proper functioning of the liver.
Recommended Dosage: Take 2 tablets twice daily with normal water.
2. Detox Premium Powder
This is an herbal powder prepared from ingredients such as Parwal pishti, Akik pishti, Jahar mohra pishti, Shukta pishti, Giloy satv, etc. It helps in detoxification of the body and hence eliminates all toxins out from the body. The use of this powder removes toxins from the liver and makes it healthy. This powder gives good results to jaundice patients.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 sachet twice daily with normal water.
3. Recoliv Syrup
It is the best tonic for liver patients & treats jaundice naturally. This herbal syrup is prepared from ingredients such as Kalmegh (Andrographis paniculata), Kasni (Cichorium intybus), Punarnava (Boerhavia diffusa), Kutki (Picrorhiza kurroa), etc. It helps in removing toxins from the liver & helps in regeneration. This herbal syrup improves metabolism of the body.
Recommended Dosage: Take 2 teaspoonfuls twice daily.
4. Trikatu Tablet
These are classical herbal tablets prepared from ingredients such as Black pepper (Piper nigrum), Ginger (Zingiber officinale), & Long pepper (Piper longum) that provides good result in jaundice. This herbal tablet helps in weak digestion, loss of appetite, weakness, flatulence, burning sensation, etc.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 teaspoonful twice daily.
5. Bhumiamaladi Churna
This herbal churna is prepared from mixture of two herbs. Bhumiamla (Phyllanthus niruri) & Katuki (Picrorhiza kurroa) are the main ingredients in this churna. These two herbs show antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, analgesic, hepatoprotective properties. It provides good results to jaundice patients.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 teaspoonful twice daily with normal water.
What is the Panchakarma Treatment in Jaundice?
Panchakarma therapies help in the overall detoxification of the body. Along with Ayurvedic treatment, it provides very effective and long-lasting results. Superlife World HealthCare recommends two procedures for jaundice patient:
- Patra potli pind sweda: In this procedure, a potli is prepared with leaves of the various herbs. After that potali is dipped in medicated oil. Heat this for few time & massage with this potli is done on the patient body.
- Basti: This is a kind of herbal enema in which medicated oil or decoction is used. According to the condition of the patient this enema is given to the patient.
Healthy Tips & Diet for Jaundice Patients
- Drink green coconut water, mosambi, & pomegranate juice daily.
- Avoid heavy, oily, fast, & processed food items.
- Include green veggies & fruits in your diet.
- You can include brown rice, wheat flour, potatoes, radish, tomatoes, bottle gourd, ridge gourd, spinach, lemon, cardamom, mangoes, and almonds in the diet.
- Don’t stress yourself and avoid tension.
- Take proper rest for quick recovery.
- Drink plenty of boiled water.
- Do perform yoga poses like Baddha padmasana, Matsyasana, Sarvangasana, Ujjayi pranayam, & Yoga nidra. These yoga poses will help you to get rid of excess bile secretion that is the primary cause of jaundice.
- Radish juice is also good for jaundice patients.
- Doesn’t overcook your food instead of that eats boil food.
- Avoid using turmeric in your diet.
- Strictly avoid aerated drinks & alcoholic beverages.
- Use yellow & pink lentils.
- Include fresh juices & soups in your diet.
- You can drink buttermilk but avoid other milk & milk products like cheese, butter, paneer, etc.